Meal Replacements: What You Should Know
Life can get pretty hectic, and finding healthy, easy foods to grab on the go can be difficult. These options can be low in protein, fiber, and micronutrients. At the same time, the easiest food options are often high in total calories—while not being very satisfying. When you are searching for meal replacements, this is the opposite of what you want to look for.
What Nutrients to Look for in Meal Replacements
- Carbohydrates. Carbs are important and a meal replacement bar should have a healthy amount per serving.
- Protein. Look for ingredients like whey and pea proteins.
- Fiber. Look for bars with three grams or more per serving. You’ll feel more full and be more regular.
- Fats. A good bar shouldn’t have any trans fats and should be low in saturated fats (around three grams per serving).
- Sugar. If sugar, sucrose or high fructose corn syrup is the main ingredient, don’t buy it. Also avoid sugar alcohols like xylitol, sorbitol and maltitol—they cause bloating and gas and have a laxative effect.
Benefits of Meal Replacements
For athletes, it can be difficult to meet your daily energy needs. Recent studies revealed that quite a lot male and female athletes finish their training days with a big calorie deficit. The mismatch of energy intake and energy expenditure can be from busy schedules, underestimated energy needs, and wrong food choices. When there is no time to cook a balanced meal, you might have time to fit in a protein bar instead.
The Anabar Difference
The Anabar was designed to be the best tasting protein bar you've ever had without sacrificing on protein or causing digestive issues due to sugar alcohols and excess fiber. These are perfect for a dessert-like snack or to use as a meal replacement! We can officially say goodbye to taffy like protein bars & the chemical aftertaste that goes along with them!
Our Anabars contain 21 grams of protein per bar, no sugar alcohols and no manipulative calorie counts. They are made with whole foods and have a cookie-like texture and flavor. Anabars are available in Peanut Butter and Jelly, White Chocolate Cookies & Cream, and Cinnamon Swirl Crunch flavor.